Coaster Credits: Agree or Disagree?

1. Grobble says:

Skywarps are not coasters. They have the same drive mechansism as larson loops. Skywarps coast just as much as larson loops9a few feet) and you people sat they are not coasters. Intellectual consistency and engineering knowledge shows Skywaprs are not coasters.

2. Jeremy says:

Fun read. I think I agree on all the statements but the skyline attractions, and on that i’m undecided. My gut feeling is that it is not a credit. But, I think the deciding factor is going to be seeing one in action and riding one. I think if the ride holds you in an unnatural position it will not be a coaster for me. But, on the other hand and using my engineering knowledge, if the propulsion of the train feels natural and like I am spending a lot of time coasting I may lean the towards a credit and coaster. Like I said, I’m undecided

Grobble- Thanks for the comment. I love hearing different opinions. But, as a Mechanical Design Engineer I had to chuckle at “Intellectual consistency and engineering knowledge”. Most things are not binary but on a spectrum. Also, If I was critically analyzing this ride with engineering knowledge. The ride has a train, track and coasts…sounds like a credit. Like I said, I’m undecided. I hope to see your comments in the future, but would love to hear why you hold a point and try to convince me with some evidence or supporting points. -dftba

3. Grobble says:

@Jeremy

Skywarps are not a credit unless you’re one of the people who think super loops are a credit. It’s the same drive tire mechanism and has about the same tiny bit of actually coasting.

Your quote..” If I am spending a lot of time coasting …” Here’s your answer, which I already knew before hand and thus knew it’s not a coaster. Direct from Skyline in an interview actually from Coaster101…”“We have about five feet of complete coast without being driven by anything, ” Gray explained. Skywarps coast 5 ft of a 360ft circuit. That’s 1.38% of the circuit. Is that “a lot of time coasting?”

4. Jeremy says:

@Grobble

I would agree super loops are definitely not a credit and that the Skywarps have a tiny amount of time were they are coasting. Leading me to say they are not a credit, but with the hesitation that in the programming they could coast the train even when they are in range of a powered section.
    Skyline has been quoted saying-
    “gradually rock the train back and forth until reaching full speed, reducing power consumption and minimizing required infrastructure improvements.”
    So there is a chance where this ride coast a lot to keep the power consumption low. I think I will need to ride it to make my final choice. Till then I think I agree, not a credit, with the chance of a change after riding one.

5. Grobble says:

@Jeremy
    @Jeremy

““gradually rock the train back and forth until reaching full speed,” That’s what a superloop does. Skywarps are the exact same thing as Super loops just with an Immelmann.

6. Dave says:

I like the brief analysis for each as that helps to simplify the issue in a sense. However, there were a few that were missed:

1. Dueling coasters–one or two credits?
    2. Relocated coasters
    3. RMC Conversion (i.e., wood to steel)
    4. Powered coasters (e.g., Thunder Run @ Canada’s Wonderland)
    5. Water coasters (e.g., Poseidon, Journey to Atlantis, etc.)
    6. Shuttle coasters (some do not count them as being a shuttle coaster disqualifies it completely from having a specific classification, e.g., hypercoaster, stratacoaster in the case of Superman at SFMM, etc.)
    7. Backwards conversion (e.g., Mr. Freeze to Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast)

The key disqualifier for me when it comes to Larson Loops, X-Scream, Disk’O, etc. are the continual starts and stops. Hardly anyone brings this factor up as a true roller coaster does not make multiple starts and stops. This can also be applied to alpine coasters as the passenger has the ability to slow and stop the car at any moment, which is why I am on the fence in regard to alpine coasters as a true coaster would continue the speed (i.e., coasting without physical personal control) without slowing/stopping multiple times.

7. Nick says:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

That’s a good point about only coasting less than 2% of the coaster’s circuit. At what percentage would you count it as a coaster? 50%? 90%?

Yeah Dave, there are more that we could do. Son of Beast with and without the loop, six vs seven car trains on Voyage, water slide coasters, etc. Maybe we’ll have to do a part two.

In the end it doesn’t really matter what we call them as long as the rides are fun. This just makes for an interesting discussion to help pass the off-season!

8. Maxi says:

I have a question about alpine coasters: on rctb I can only find alpine coasters that are using a metal track, either one or two railed. However, there are a lot of bobsled alpine coasters in Germany and Austria. Those use a half tube in which they run, just as the regular winter sports. For example for the “Bayern Park”, which has 2 of those type, they are not listed on rcdb. However, looking at other coasters like the “Schweizer Bobbahn” in the “Europa Park” they totally are identical in terms of way they function. Can I count them as a credit or not, and why?

9. Nick says:

Hi Maxi, that’s an interesting observation. Maybe we should ask RCDB why they don’t include alpine slides while they do include bobsled coasters like Diaster Transport. They use wheels so they are still “rolling” and “coasting.” We don’t count water slide coasters because they don’t have wheels. I would probably count them.