12 Best Theme Park Steam Trains in America

1. Robert says:

Six Flags St. Louis may be close station to station, but there is an aggressive change in elevation as the park is set on the side of a hill. Taking the train let’s you walk mostly downhill.

2. Jack says:

The list is fine, but why wasn’t something like Tweetsie considered?

• Nick says:

As I tried to explain in the article, Tweetsie is a primarily a railroad that happens to have a few amusement park rides. I kept the lists to amusement parks that happen to have a good train ride. If you took the train out of Tweetsie there’s not much else to get excited about. If you removed the train from any other park on this list there is still plenty to do. Does that make sense?

3. Jonah Snyder says:

A very good list, but there’s one theme park that I would’ve added to this list, and that would be my home park, Tweetsie Railroad. The park itself revolves a pair of 3 foot Narrow Gauge Steam Engines, which are both coal-fired and tackle some truly steep grades. Not to mention, The park’s history is tied to a narrow gauge railroad that used to run in the area.

• Nick says:

My reasoning was Tweetsie is a primarily a railroad that happens to have a few amusement park rides. I kept the lists to amusement parks that happen to have a good train ride. If you took the train out of Tweetsie there’s not much else to get excited about. If you removed the train from any other park on this list there is still plenty to do. Does that make sense?

4. redneck says:

really?? you SUCK!!! the Six flags over texas R.R. was in the park in 61. oh but all we get is an Honarable mention REALLY?

• Nick says:

Blame COVID. We had a big Texas trip planned last year in which we would have seen the SFOT train in person but had to cancel the trip. This isn’t a list of the oldest trains. What makes the SFOT special besides being old? In all the articles, podcasts, and social media I follow, I had never heard a single thing, positive of negative, about the SFOT train until we published this article.

5. Jim Futrell says:

Great list and I don’t disagree with your top rankings, but I do disagree with your characterization of Tweetsie Railroad. They have 14 rides in addition to the train including a sky ride and a turnpike along with five shows and a zoo in five themed areas spread over 30 acres. That seems to be a pretty sizable facility in its own right.

6. Ted Ansley says:

My 2nd favorite train after Dollywood is the very long steam train at Little Amerika in Wisconsin! Here’s a quote from Wikpedia: “Little Amerricka is an amusement park located in Marshall, Wisconsin, USA. It features the 16 in (406 mm) gauge[1] Whiskey River Railway, a 1/3 size railroad with over 3 miles of track that begins at the amusement park and goes through scenic trees, past the wildlife pond area, and across the Whiskey River. Passengers hear a whistle as they go through the tunnel, past the locomotive shops including roundhouse and turntable, over bridges and around a lake.”
    Here’s a link to a great video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdVr_oPHiIw
    This railroad is a must if you like trains!

• Nick says:

Thanks Ted. If I re-did this list Whiskey River would be on it for sure. Never been to Little Amerika but it’s definitely at the top of my list of theme park trains I need to ride.