A History of Carowinds’ Thunder Road

1. Mark Bailey says:

Thank you for this great article! I have great memories of Thunder Road. As a kid I won a contest and was on the very first ride. I’m sorry to see it go. 🙁

2. Nick says:

Thanks for sharing Mark!

3. Lane says:

I went with my family to Carowinds for the first time in 1976 to ride Thunder Road. I was only four years old. I was too scared to ride after I saw it up close, but the rest of my family rode while I stood with my aunt. My grandfather came back into the station and said “eeny, miny, and I don’t want no mo”. It took his breath away, but all of my family loved it. I went back in 1981 to get my first ride. I believe we left having ridden it close to ten times. I was just there last Wednesday from NYC to ride for the last time. I still loved it. Both times they had the trains racing neck and neck. It was just like my first rides.

4. Nick says:

Awesome story Lane! The ride sure will be missed – another classic wood coaster going away.

5. Susan says:

I have many great memories of riding Thunder Road!! It never failed to thrill me even when I spent one afternoon with a friend riding it forwards and backwards over and over again. My favorite memory is of my family going there the first time. My boys were 5 and 7. My youngest son was determined to ride it and I was not wanting him too. Shortly into the ride I heard him crying ahead of me. I told his dad who was sitting beside him “I told you he was too young!” He said “no, listen to him.” He was crying over and over “don’t let this ride end!” He was hooked!!! Farewell old friend!!! You’ll be missed by the Gresh family!!

6. Noah says:

I think, looking at the plot of land, it looks like a launch coaster would fit nicely 😉