10 Best Coasters of the 1970s Still Operating Today!

1. Josh says:

This is a fantastic list! You nailed it with #1. I’ve visited countless parks and been on more roller coasters than I can count, and The Beast (especially at night) is by far and away my favorite.

2. Jeff Dunn says:

Great list of 70’s roller coasters, but we can’t forget The Cyclone in Coney Island. It’s probably the only roller coaster from the 20’s still running. A great coaster.

3. Kathy says:

You left out rolling thunder at six flags great adventure in New Jersey

4. Jason says:

From what I’ve read, those loops on those old school Schwarzkopf loopers are quite intense!

5. Anthony C. says:

I still prefer the g’s on Shockwave at Six Flags over Texas those are some strong wicked grey out G’s.

6. Eric says:

The loop on Revolution still packs the G forces it did when I first rode it in 1976. I like that the loop is in the middle of the ride so there’s a build-up to get to it. The gradual slope toward the loop was genius. And removing those unnecessary OTSRs was one of the best things they did.

7. Jerry says:

I think Loch Ness should be #1… my grandmother rode that coaster up till her late 60’s…

8. Ross says:

Surprised you left off Shockwave at Six Flags over Texas. Having included the Revolution, Mindbender and SuperDooperLooper…Shockwave merits an honorable mention at the very least. Also, both Demon’s at the Great America Parks should get honorable mentions as well…given they were the 2nd Arrow corkscrew coasters ever built as the Turn of the Century in 1976…many Arrow corkscrew/loop coasters have come and gone in their lifetimes, but they have also stood the test of time.