Universal Orlando Parks Reopening in Phases Starting June 1
Universal Orlando’s plans to reopen Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure in phases beginning June 1 have been approved by the Orange County Task Force and Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
The phased opening would begin on June 1 for limited groups and would culminate on June 5, with the parks opening to the general public. The phases are as follows:
- June 1-2: open to team members to test safety protocols
- June 3-4: open to invited guests, annual passholders
- June 5: open to general public
What to expect at reopened Universal Orlando parks:
Below is a partial list of health and safety measures that will be in place at Universal Orlando and inside Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure:
- All guests will be required to wear face masks or similar face coverings.
- Single-ride lines will not be used.
- Water and mist elements on water rides will be reduced.
- Ride lockers will be spaced apart, and access to locker areas will be limited.
- Cars will be parked 1-2 spaces apart in garages.
- Car valet services will not be offered.
- Mobile food ordering and contactless payment will be available.
In the formal request to Mayor Demings, Universal Parks & Resorts executive vice president and chief administrative officer, wrote:
Our plans have been weeks in the making and build upon our recent experience reopening portions of Universal Orlando CityWalk. You will see we have created a new level of best-practice for our already aggressive health, safety and hygiene procedures. We have followed CDC guidelines, the advice of health officials and recommendations from our own experts.
Universal Orlando’s CityWalk entertainment district reopened on May 14.
The Volcano Bay water park is also expected to reopen with additional safety measures put into place.
Plans for Universal Orlando’s on-property hotels and resorts are still in development and will be released soon:
Universal Orlando hotels are an important part of the guest experience. Plans are being formulated and details will be shared soon. Guests with reservations will be contacted as soon as plans are available.
This is a developing story. Check back soon as more information becomes available.
See our updated list of coronavirus-related park openings and closings here.