Universal Orlando Reveals Diagon Alley Details
Harry Potter fans, rejoice. Universal Orlando today divulged exciting new details about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley, which will open this summer at Universal Studios. Just like in the Potter books and films, guests will be able to travel between Diagon Alley at Universal Studios and 2010’s Hogsmeade area at Islands of Adventure via the Hogwarts Express.
Seen above is the London Embarkment at Diagon Alley inside Universal Studios.
Universal’s creative team has been working closely with Stuart Craig and the production team from the Harry Potter films to make the new area as authentic and spectacular as possible, just as it did with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade in 2010.
This summer, Universal Orlando guests will be able to climb aboard the Hogwarts Express in Hogsmeade (at Islands of Adventure) and moments later arrive at King’s Cross Station (inside Universal Studios Florida) at London and Diagon Alley.
Seen above is the new Hogsmeade station at Islands of Adventure.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade area at Islands of Adventure includes the iconic Hogwarts castle, which houses Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, as well as the village of Hogsmeade.
The new area will include a revolutionary ride, as well as themed shops and dining, all based on areas featured in the Harry Potter universe, including London, Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley.
Seen above is Kings’s Cross Station at Diagon Alley.
A press release from Universal Orlando describes the journey from Islands of Adventures to Universal Studios and Diagon Alley:
After arriving at King’s Cross Station aboard the Hogwarts Express, guests will pass through London and the iconic brick wall archway from the films into Diagon Alley, a bustling, wizarding hub within a Muggle city. There will be shops, dining experiences, and a new ride called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional journey that will take theme park attractions to a new level.
Board the Hogwarts Express and journey between London’s King’s Cross Station (located in Universal Studios Florida) and Hogsmeade Station (located in Universal’s Islands of Adventure). The journey will be filled with views of London and the British countryside. Park-to-park admission is required.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will also be home to a groundbreaking attraction:
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts “will place riders in the middle of an incredible adventure as they navigate their way through the perils of the Gringotts vaults.”
Guests will also “witness the magical experience of a wand choosing a wizard at Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands, one of the wizarding world’s premier wand shops.”
Knockturn Alley, “the darkest of dark places that features Borgin and Burkes, a shop specializing in the Dark Arts that will offer a wide variety of Dark objects, such as Death Eater masks, skulls, and other sinister items” from the Harry Potter universe.
Seen above is the Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes shop.
Guests will also have the chance to explore some of Diagon Alley’s famous shops, including:
- Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, a vibrant shop featuring novelty items, magical jokes, and toys inspired by the books and films that will amaze the mischievous child in everyone
- Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, where guests will find a variety of wizardwear from Hogwarts school uniform ties, scarves and jumpers, to authentic wizard’s robes and character costumes
- Magical Menagerie, which features a collection of plush animals, such as owls and Hippogriffs
- Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment, where guests can grab wizarding essentials such as telescopes, binoculars, armillary spheres, compasses, magnifying glasses and hourglasses
- Quality Quidditch Supplies, offering a wide assortment of apparel and equipment including Quidditch sweaters, brooms, Golden Snitches, Bludgers, Bludger bats, Quaffles and more
- Scribbulus, featuring authentic writing implements and products such as feather quills, ink and inkwells, bookmarks, journals, parchment paper, seals, stationery sets and postcards
- Enjoy traditional British fare that includes favorite dishes such as fish and chips, bangers and mash and more at the Leaky Cauldron
- Visit Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour for frozen treats in a variety of tantalizing and unique flavors such as strawberry-and-peanut-butter ice-cream and many others
The resort shared a picture of the Hogwarts Express train engine on site:
Stay tuned to Universal Orlando’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter website for more updates as the opening of Diagon Alley approaches.
What are your thoughts about Diagon Alley? Discuss in the comments section below.